Does an apartment complex have a legal obligation to notify tenants of prior criminal activity against women onits property?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an apartment complex have a legal obligation to notify tenants of prior criminal activity against women onits property?

My daughter was attacked by knife point and their were previous attacks (assault, rape, robbery) against women. Their was no notification for women to be aware of these attacks on the property. They have security but he’s usually sleeping in his car. Do we have grounds to sue the landlord for my daughter’s unfortunate attack?

Asked on August 18, 2011 Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is no specific obligation to notify tenants of attacks on the property. However, there is an obligation on landlords to provide proper security, with proper security being judged in terms of the circumstances--the area of the town/city and its safety and history of crime; the population of the building; the physical set-up of the complex; and, in this case, whether there have been attacks on premises. If a  landlord does not provide proper security, which depending on the circumstances can mean *effective* or adequate security guards or patrols, in addition to good locks, locking external doors, adequate lighting, etc., the landlord may be liable  for any attacks. From what you right, you may have grounds for a lawsuit, and it would be worthwhile to consult with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption