Does an employer need to pay a non-exempt employee for time spent at a weekend conference and for any expenses incurred?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an employer need to pay a non-exempt employee for time spent at a weekend conference and for any expenses incurred?

I am hourly employee at a private school. I have been selected to attend a weekend conference and trade show. Is my employer required to pay me for time spent at the conference as well as travel time? Is my employer responsible for any travel expenses I incur (including but not limited to airfare, food, hotel, etc.)?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may not be paid in monies but you should be reimbursed or expensed for your travel, meal and attendance costs. In most situations, you do not get paid for your time there, but you get paid for all expenses associated with your trip. Check your employee handbook regarding this issue and if not in there, contact your state department of labor for some quick answers if this is within their purview.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption