Does an 18 year old have legal rights to access information on a Roth IRA that was set up for them while they were a minor?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an 18 year old have legal rights to access information on a Roth IRA that was set up for them while they were a minor?

I believe I have earned (as a minor working for my aunt) at least $6,000 which has been placed in a Roth IRA for me by my aunt and mother as “guardians”. Due to family violence, I moved out of the home at age 18 and am financially independent, working and going to college. The family are refusing me any information about my IRA account including the bank with whom it is with and an account balance. Do I have rights as an 18 year old to monitor my own IRA and, if so, how do I proceed?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a designated Roth IRA account in your name and you are now an adult (over the age of 18 years of age), you are entitled to have information concerning this account. Unless there is some trust or other designation as to when you have access to this Roth IRA, you as an adult have the right to monitor and control this account without anyone else telling you how it is to be utilized.

The key is to get a copy of the paperwork concerning this account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption