Does a water softener and filtration system convey in a sale?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a water softener and filtration system convey in a sale?

The seller did not state that the water softner/filtration system did not convey with the sale. The seller is arguing that a water system in not a plumbing fixture and is equivalent to a

television. It is a tank system that is installed outside the house. I drove by the house and

noticed it was gone. We are set to close tomorrow.

Asked on October 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If it was plumbed into the house (i.e. hard connected into the system) and was part of the plumbing system, then it would typically go with the house: hardmounted appliances or systems (e.g. garage door openers; a dishwasher; a water heater) go with the house unless specifically excluded; it's only items that can simply be unplugged and hauled off, like televisions or microwaves, that are excluded unless specifically included with the property on sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption