Does a trustee of a living trust need to submit actual receipts when asked?

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a trustee of a living trust need to submit actual receipts when asked?

My minor boys are the beneficiary’s of their grandmother’s estate and some money she left before passing 2 years ago. The trustee “her niece” has been acting very weird. We requested an accounting of all spending. That would be the money left for the children, $18, 000. In her accounting, first off she was 5 months late. When her attorney finally emailed it to me, it was just random numbers done herself from computer.; by the way the boys inheritance money is all gone. I have asked her for receipts but she refuses to send anything.

Asked on April 17, 2012 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it now stands.  A trustee is a fiduciary and carries with it great responsibility.  Breach of the trust and abuse of the powers can lead to personal liability for the trustee. A trustee must indeed account for spending and probably annually according to your state laws.  I think that is may be a good idea to speak with an attorney at this point in time.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption