Will a notorized agreement between divorced parents be seriously considered by the judge to modify child custody/support?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a notorized agreement between divorced parents be seriously considered by the judge to modify child custody/support?

Also, in this notorized document mother refuses child support but “father will keep a college account wich he will maintain and provide annual statements” but then he transfered this account to mother’s name. Is this document still valid at all?

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The court's really like it when parent's can reach agreements, as long as those agreements are in the best interest of the children.  However, only the judge has the power to modify his orders.  So... if mom and dad come to an agreement, it is nice that they record that agreement in a notarized document, but it will not suffice to alter the court's orders.  Instead, the parties need to have that agreement converted into an agreed motion and order to modify the current custody orders.  Until there is a new order on file that tells dad he can stop paying child support, he will be liable for any missed payments. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption