Does a marriage of 2.5 years qualify for spousal support?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a marriage of 2.5 years qualify for spousal support?

I want to file for legal separation to get child support and spouse support. Would I get anything being married almost three years? Also, do they take into consideration my husband’s assests such as a 4-wheeler, guns and so on? And would he have to sell them? He also has past debt and would this be ordered to be paid or taken into consideration in anyway?

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for the situation.  Generally speaking, courts consider a number of factors when deciding spousal support issues and length of marriage is but only one of them.  Standard of living, health of the parties, his resources as well as yours, etc. are other factors. It is difficult in this type of forum to be able to tell you anything for certain.  I urge you to speak with some one in your area regarding this issue as well as custody and child support.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption