Does a hotel’s insurance pay for a window that you damaged?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a hotel’s insurance pay for a window that you damaged?

I have been staying in a hotel for 3 months with my children while waiting for our home to be ready. A few days ago, my daughter knocked a chair over and broke an outside window, not part of a room just sort of an outside hallway divider window. The keeper is telling me that I have to fix the window which is fine but tells me it’s going to be $600 which I don’t have. Everybody is telling me that his insurance should cover it and if I fix it, it is very possible he might double dip through his insurance. When I asked him about this, he got hostile and called the cops saying that I damaged his property. I keep up with my room maintenance by myself – clogged drains, shampoo rugs, etc. The cops said that I have to fix it. After they left, he said that I have 2 weeks. New Link Destination
night the window started cracking and might fall which is a huge danger to hotel guests and employees, so I asked him for a drill so that I can take it out, however he refuses to help me at all. I’m worried if someone gets injured that will be my fault too but not sure what legal options I have here. He is a heavy drinker and I’m worried that he will come over and make the window fall or damage something else so I have bigger problems. What are my options? I was also told that he should have to fix it and I’m responsible for the bill.

Asked on July 10, 2018 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No one has to use their insurance for a claim if they don't want to: they can sue the at-fault person (or the parent of minor children who were at fault) for the money instead, since an at-fault person (or their parent) is liable for the damage. Or even if they do use insurance, the at-fault person would be liable for the deductible (the part not paid by insurance). If your daughter broke the window, you are liable for the cost to repair.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption