Does a conviction for possession of cocaine count as a controlled substance offense?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a conviction for possession of cocaine count as a controlled substance offense?

My fiance is facing possession with the intent to distribute and a gun charge, all while being on probation in SC in 2009. Since he was on probation and a gun was involved, the Feds picked-up his case. We would like to know if that possession conviction counts as a controlled substance offense?

Asked on June 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, this does. Under federal law a controlled substance can be a recreational drug such as cocaine. If your fiance doesn't already have legal counsel then he needs to oneASAP. He should retain a criminal law attorney who practices in the district court in question. They can use their local contacts to his best advantage.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption