What documentation is required when filing a Chapter 7?

UPDATED: May 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What documentation is required when filing a Chapter 7?

When filing pro se, do you turn your bank statements and all other documentation (ie deeds, car regist.) in when you file, or wait until the trustee asks for it?

Asked on May 25, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to file Chapter 7, you will need a packet from the court which contains all of the schedules.  The schedules are for listing your various debts by category  You list the name, address, account number, etc. for each creditor..  There are several schedules; for example, secured debt, unsecured debt, etc.. income & expense statement, co-signers, etc.  You will also need to list your exemptions for exempt property.  The documentation such as bank statements, deeds, etc. you keep but have it available in case the trustee wants to see it.

It is important to list all your creditors because when you file your bankruptcy, the court sends notice to your creditors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption