Do you have to have proof when you go to court for an EPO?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do you have to have proof when you go to court for an EPO?

My ex-boyfriend has been following me around when I leave my residence, has been harrassing me over the computer and in person, and also came to my last previous place of living. Would I need proof when I go to court for this?

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well an EPO is an Emergency Protective Order issued by the circuit court in Kentucky to someone who is considered to be in "immediate danger." This ensures that the complainant is legally protected from the alleged abuser's contacting them for a 14-day period. In Kentucky, protective orders do not cover:

  • victims of stalking and harassment and
  • a victim of abuse whose abuser is someone other than:
    • a family member, or
    • someone you live with as a couple or have lived with as a couple, or
    • someone you have had a child with.

But assault, stalking, and harassment are against the law and you should immediately report it to law enforcement and/or file a criminal complaint at the district court clerk’s office in the county where this occurred. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption