Do we have to move?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have to move?

My mom moved us into a rental home
we haven’t been in the house a mouth
and the owners already sold the house.
We have a one year lease. Can they
kick us out or make us move?

Asked on January 27, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A landlord is not obligated to inform a tenant when they sell the property; you are simply a tenant and have no ownership interest. However, if you have a lease, the new owner must honor that lease the same as the original landlord. That is unless a special probision was made regarding a sale and your vacating early. Otherwise, you can stay. I now suggest that you contact a lawyer to reveiw your lease; they can best further advise you. If you are evicted illegally, you have rights and may be entitled to monetary compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption