Do we have the right to access our settlement money from an auto accidentin whichour minor child was injured?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have the right to access our settlement money from an auto accidentin whichour minor child was injured?

My 8 year old son and I were involved in a head on collision; it was completely other driver’s fault. Son suffered a broken leg on the growth plate and I had several smaller injuries. Hired an attorney to file lawsuit but the paralegal is telling us that we most likely will not be able to access the settlement money except to pay medical bills which our medical insurance covered a huge portion of. She said the remaining money will go into an investment for our son when he reaches 18 or 19 or even 21. Is this true?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Personal Injury, Missouri


Bryson Cloon / Cloon Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have 2 separate claims--one for you and one for your minor son.  It is accurate that monies recovered for your son's injuries will have to be placed in a conservatorship where you must ask the Judge to approve any money you wish to take from the settlement.  The alternative is a structured settlement that would pay monies directly to your son at future dates.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption