Do we have enough evidence to proove that our marriage is ‘

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have enough evidence to proove that our marriage is ‘

I came to the US from Russia with tourist visa to visit my friend without the intention of marriage. However, he proposed after some time. We got married in 6 months after I came and filed for an adjustment of status. We had an intimate wedding with only 1 guest – his sister. He doesn’t have any other relatives in the US. He is US citizen who immigrated from India 20 years ago. We have been married almost 5 months. Our marriage initial interview is coming. We live together but we don’t have joint property; I have property in Russia and he has property in the US. What we have is prenup, health insurance, car insurance, joint credit card, my name added to his bills, wedding album, photos with his friends at our wedding party (which we had later), we can prove that we visited his sister and nephew for Christmas, have emails about wedding plans, evidence of trips together flight tickets, hotel reservation, letters to the same address, both are members of the same gym, both are members of public speaking club, receipts for engagement and wedding rings not saying our names on it, also he bought some stuff for me such as wedding dress and accessorize, piano, he payed for my driving lessons. Skype and texts to each other. I also chat and call to his sister sometimes, we got good friends. Would it be enough to proove that our marriage is

Asked on March 16, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Provide as much documentation as possible for the interview.  If you feel like you don't have enough, obtain additional documentation (i would not show the prenup as proof of bona fide marriage), get affidavits from friends, relatives, neighbors, co workers, etc.  Tax returns, bank statements cell phone bills, etc. are good types of evidence.  You can also discuss the specifics with an immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption