Other than eviction, do we have any other options as far as getting a tenant out if they are having violent domestic disputes with the other tenant?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Other than eviction, do we have any other options as far as getting a tenant out if they are having violent domestic disputes with the other tenant?

I am a landlord and have tenants that rented separate houses. They both became single and within a month decided to move in together. Now they cannot get along and the police have been called to their house. When they moved in together I had to do a new lease for them to switch their electric (it was in ex-girlfriend’s name). The police say we have to evict the one we want to leave. It’s obvious they can’t live together another 30 days for us to evict. We don’t want all the fighting everyday cause we live next door. Who do we evict and how?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

All you can do is evict--there is no other way to force them to out. (You can, of course, offer to pay them something to leave early; if you do that, make  sure to get the agreement in writing.)

You cann only evict for

1) A breach of the lease, so if they are complying wiith the lease, you are now limited to the following three options;

2) For a significant disturbance of the peace, which however first involves providing a notice to cease and an opportunty to disturbing the peace--from what you write, this may be the best bet

3) For threats or attacks against the landlord, or willful (intentional) destruction of the landlord's property

4) At the expiration of a written lease, or after 30 days notice of termination of tenancy if it is an oral lease and month to month rental

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption