What to do if a cell phone provider’s lack of security regarding a cell phone account?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a cell phone provider’s lack of security regarding a cell phone account?

Since 10/10 our cell phone service has been disconnected by an unknown person by using the provider’sc automated system (since they only required you to verify the billing zip code). After getting nowhere with our provider we took our story to the news. The problem is still on going since AT&T doesn’t require any verification to suspend an account service. We know from experience some representatives are granting access to our account without verification andallowing this person to change our passcode locking us out of our account.

Asked on January 22, 2011 under General Practice, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

This is not only a breach of security but most likely a breach of your contract as well.  I think that you have to decide WHAT you want to do.  If the service and security is as you say that it is then I would  consider switching carriers and you probably have enough here to get out of the contract.  If there were some way to prove that it is  that person who is doing it then I would say that you should also file a harassment complaint.  But catching the person is going to be difficult.  Did going to the news help at all?  If it did not then keep on going to them. No one likes bad press and it may give you some leverage her.  Good luck on you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption