Do I still have to go to court if I have just sent full payment of a debt to the firm that is collecting the debt?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I still have to go to court if I have just sent full payment of a debt to the firm that is collecting the debt?

I recently received a summons to go to court in 2 weeks on a debt that I owe. I sent the payment of the debt in full to the law firm representing the creditor, the day before I received the summons. I’m trying to contact the creditor’s law firm to make sure they received the payment.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you have paid the full amount owed to the judgment creditor before the hearing date for trial, you need to call and write the attorney for the creditor to make sure that the hearing date for trial will be taken off calendar. Make sure you get a confirming letter from the attorney that the hearing date is off calendar and you get a filed full satisfaction of the judgment against you.

A full satisfaction means that the debt is paid in full. You alson need from the other attorney a dismissal of the lawsuit filed against you with prejudice. You do not want to have to deal with this lawsuit again. I would also call the court clerk to make sure the trial date is off calendar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption