Do I still have legal rights to my inheritance ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I still have legal rights to my inheritance ?

I need to know if I can get my inheritance? My sister who just passed made up 2
other wills and left her self executor of all my mothers money. I had just found out
after her death on October 9th that she cashed them all in. I have made many
attempts to contact her with no avail. She had threatened our lives and we were
afraid. Her estate is going to go through probate soon. I have proof she cashed all
my mothers savings life insurance and time deposit. This has been going on since
1992 since my mothers passing. Can I sue her estate.

Asked on December 10, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

After 25 years, it is far too late to sue for any amounts your sister improperly received, such as using or through a "fake" will, from your mother's estate. A challenge to the validity of a will must be filed a few months (120 days) of the will being admitted to probate; you are therefore, based on what you write, over two decades too late.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption