If my employer decidedes to terminate me for no reason, or do I have any recourse?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer decidedes to terminate me for no reason, or do I have any recourse?

I am currently working for a US company based out of the states, however, my work location is outside of the US. My supervisor is trying to force me to leave the jobsite and has already promised my job to somebody else. I have had excellent reviews and no write-ups at all. Am I still entitled to unemployment benefits?

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


William Price / Growthlaw

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your employment is through a company based in Illinois, and you are discharged, formally or informally, without cause, you should be able to claim unemployment benefits here, if you have enough qualifying wages. 

Illinois Department of Employment Security information on eligibility and benefits is available at:


Hope this helps,


Bill Price


William A. Price

Attorney at Law

[email protected]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption