Do I pay child support for the full month or can I pro-rate it if my childturns 18 on the 20th of the month?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I pay child support for the full month or can I pro-rate it if my childturns 18 on the 20th of the month?

My divorce decree states I am responsible for child support and insurance on my daughter until she turns 18 or graduates with her class/ whichever is the later. She turned 18 this month on the 20th. Am I responsible for the whole month or can I pro-rate?

Asked on July 23, 2011 Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the divorce decree between you and your former wife states that you have child support obligations for your daughter until she is 18 years old or graduates with her class presumably from high school whichever if the latter, then you are obligated for child support until her birthday for her on July 20, 2011 when she turned 18.

If the court order states monthly child support for your daughter until she is 18 or graduates from high school whichever is the latter and states nothing about pro-rating child support up to her birthday when she is 18 years old after high school graduation, you could reasonably interpret the order that child support ends on her 18th birthday. However, to be on the safe side, pay support for your daughter though the month's end at the very least. She is your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption