Should I pay a fine for trespassing without fighting it?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I pay a fine for trespassing without fighting it?

I had a panic attack and signed admitting to the charge. I was under pressure and pleading them to bring my mental disable daughter inside the store, she was left outside the store alone when they pulled me in. Will this charge stay in my record even if I pay it?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, convictions usually stay on your record for a lifetime... because they are public records.  However, there are some limited exceptions for obtaining expunctions... depending on how you enter your plea with the courts.  I would strongly recommend that you set up a consultation with a criminal defense attorney.  Many will offer free or inexpensive consultations.  If you can find more than one to offer a free consultation, it wouldn't hurt to get two opinions.  There are two areas that you want to focus on...the nature of the plea that you will need to enter and any potential defenses.  I'm not sure what you signed, but there is a chance that any admissions could be thrown out because they were basically holding your disabled daughter hostage.  Even when they are obtained in a private settings, statements and admissions still have to be voluntary to be admissible in a criminal trial.  If you have not entered a formal plea, there may still be a chance of defeating the charge... or working the plea bargain in such a way to earn a dismissal or expunction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption