Legally, do I owe these people any refund if I’m a wedding photographer and missed just 1 shot?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Legally, do I owe these people any refund if I’m a wedding photographer and missed just 1 shot?

I am a wedding videographer with a client wanting a refund because I missed 1 shot groom’s face during bride’s walk down isle. They signed a contract that stated,

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This is not a sufficiently "material" or important breach as to justify treating the contract as terminated and requiring a full refund, and if they were to try to sue, it is very unlikely any court would order a full refund. Because it was a minor breach, it is reasonable that they receive the appropriate pro rata refund for missing this shot--i.e. they should get something back, and probably would get something if they sue, but that amount will relate to the proportion of shots taken vs. shots missed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption