Do I owe the realtor a commission if I sell my house myself within 30 days after my agreement expires?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I owe the realtor a commission if I sell my house myself within 30 days after my agreement expires?

I am selling my home. A paragraph in my agreement says, “If in the event that the property, or any part of it, described in this agreement becomes subject to a written or other agreement by the buyer and seller or their designees or is sold, conveyed, leased or in any way transferred within 30 days after the expiration of this agreement to anyone whom the seller, broker, or broker’s salesperson…had introduced the property during the term of this Exclusive Listing, the compensation as indicated above shall be earned by the broker and payable to the broker by the seller…”

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

For a definitive answer, you need an attorney to review the entire agreement and the circumstances with you.

That said, the specific language you quote would indicate that IF the sale was to someone who had been "introduced to the property" by the realtor, you would owe him or her a commission under the circumstances you describe. On the other hand, this specific language quoted would not seem to apply to the situation of your finding a buyer who had *not* seen the house during the time the realtor's contract was in force. Again, though, for a more definitive answer, you need to discuss the situation with an attorney who can also review the contract in its entirety. Since in NJ, you effectively need a lawyer anyway to sell property (for example, to deal with the 3-day "attorney review" period), you should retain a RE lawyer now, and he/she can look at the contract as their first service to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption