Do I owe for a credit card that was stated to be my ex-wife’s responsibility in our divorce decree?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I owe for a credit card that was stated to be my ex-wife’s responsibility in our divorce decree?

I have been divorced for 4 years and in the divorce decree it was stipulated which party would be responsible for each unpaid balance mostly credit cards. One of the credit cards that was to be paid by my ex-wife has not been paid and has been turned over to a collection agency. It is now calling me for payment. I spoke to my ex-wife and she said that she had turned the matter over to a law group and they were negotiating payment on her behalf; she has been making payments to the credit card company. It should be noted that we were married and lived in a community property state during the marriage.

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Here is the issue: the credit card companies were not a party to your divorce and the agreement that you entered in to at the time.  Therefore, they are not bound by that agreement and can sue based pon the original agreements: the credit card agreements.  Your remedy is against your wife.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption