Do I Owe $18,500 for an accident I was in but wasn’t insured for at the time?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I Owe $18,500 for an accident I was in but wasn’t insured for at the time?

I was in a car accident about a year ago and was driving my friend’s car up to the store for him to pick up some deer meat that my brother was giving him. I completely had permission but at the time I did not have insurance on a personal vehicle because I had no such vehicle. There was a car in my blind spot as I pulled out and the car hit me going at least 50 mph as I pulled out from a stop sign going about 3 to 5 mph. Both cars were totaled but no ambulances were needed. My friend’s vehicle had liability insurance but I was not listed on his insurance policy as a driver (take note, I was renting a room in his house that he was also paying rent at). So a year down the road I get a call from an insurance company stating I owe $18500 because I was not a listed to driver on his policy because I was an uninsured motorist. I don’t even have $2000. I’m 20 years old and need advice.

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Accident Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in the accident, since the other vehicle was in your blind spot, then you and the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving are liable. 
When there is a court judgment against you, it would be advisable to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption