Do I need to get a new I-94 after I renew my passport

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to get a new I-94 after I renew my passport

Hi, I am on H4. My I-94 is about to
expire as the I-94 validity was shorter
than H4 visa as my passport was about
to expire. Now that I have renewed my
passport, do I need to apply for a new
I-94? I still have I-797 my husband H1
approval with a valid I-94 on it. Thanks

Asked on November 10, 2018 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes you will need to get a new I-94 either by applying for an extension or if you travel outside the US on the visa and return with the new passport, the new I-94 should be given to you corresponding to the expiration date of your husband's H-1.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption