Do I need to draw up paperwork for power of attorney with a lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to draw up paperwork for power of attorney with a lawyer?

My 53 year old aunt has heart disease, fibromyalgia, lupus and RA. She is married to a man who treats her horribly almost all of the time. He wants her to stop taking all her meds. He also has control over her money and sometimes it seems to just disappear. Leaving her with nothing for the end of the month. He

disappears from time to time without explanation. She is wheel chair bound and

practically helpless. She and I have discussed my becoming power of attorney for her. I want to do it right.

Asked on September 17, 2016 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't *need* an attorney to draw up a power of attorney ("power of attorney" is the document; if you are given power by it, you are called the "attorney-in-fact" or "agent")--there is no legal requirement for a lawyer to create a POA, and you and your aunt can draw up one yourselves. Of course, letting an attorney help you is strongly recommended, since the lawyer is much more likely than laypersons to draft one that is clear, understandable, meets all your needs, and is fully enforceable.
Bear in mind that a power of attorney will not stop your aunt's husband from taking money from a joint account (since he's on the account, he has full right to access the funds) or from taking money if your aunt voluntarily gives it to him. A power of attorney lets you *also* act for her, but doesn't prevent anyone (her or her husband) who currently has power over her finances from acting.
You aunt may wish to speak to a family or matrimonial law attorney about divorcing a man who treats her horribly, withholds her meds, and takes her money--that, not a POA, is the only way to really protect her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption