Do I need to attend a masters hearing in an uncontested divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to attend a masters hearing in an uncontested divorce?

My spouse and I have been separated for 2.5 years. We have a signed property agreement and no minor children. I was notified of a masters hearing but that I do not have to attend. Is there any reason for me to attend? What is the worst that can happen if I do not attend?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Masters are employed by the courts to assist the judges in handling divorce cases as well as other hearings matters, In divorce cases the Masters hear issues of uncontested divorces, and pendente lite issues (temporary issues) among other matters. It is a real legal hearing just like any other hearing before a judge.  So I would not take it lightly and not attend.  The Master makes recommendations to the judge as to what the order should be in your case. Even if on your case the Master will "rubber stamp" the property agreement - if that is what will happen - it is best to have your appearance noted and your agreement to the paperwork on the record.  Go.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption