Do I need legal coverage for my business if I do not have a TIN?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need legal coverage for my business if I do not have a TIN?

I use my SSN as my TIN since I do not make enough at my business to pay taxes and, as I understand it, that is the reason I do not have a TIN.

Asked on September 27, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean by "legal coverage"? If you mean some protection from liability, then yes--any and every business person needs some liability protection, so that in the event of a business-related debt or lawsuit, his/her personal assets e.g. home, car, personal bank account, etc. are protected. To get that protection, you will need to establish an LLC or corporation which you can do regardless of how little you expect to earn and get a TIN which again, you can get regardless of earnings and run the business under that structure. You should also buy the appropriate insurance. 
If you are asking about something else, please repost your question with additional clarification.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption