Do I need an attorney to plead guilty to a M3 misdemeanor charge of public indecency in Ohio?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need an attorney to plead guilty to a M3 misdemeanor charge of public indecency in Ohio?

Am being charged with sexual conduct in a shelter at a park with a man that I am seeing. We are both married. We would both just like to plead guilty and get this over with without anyone finding out (family and friends) if possible. Is it unwise to go apologize in court and plead guilty? No priors for either.

Asked on June 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your ultimate goal is for your family and friends to not find out about this matter, pleading guilty is not a wise thing to do in the long run.  While a guilty plea will "put this behind you" in the short run, you must remember that guilty pleas/convictions remain part of your permanent record.  What this means, from a practical perspective, is that if anyone runs a background check on you (possibly for the rest of your life) the fact that you plead guilty to public indecency in 2009 will show up.  I recommend consulting with and/or retaining a criminal defense attorney to determine whether there is a valid defense and/or basis to have this charge dismissed, nolled, or otherwise found not guilty, so as to erase any permanent record of it.  While this may increase your likelihood, in the short run, of getting "found out" by family/friends, I believe this is the wisest decision to protect your interests in the long run.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption