Do I need an attorney for a theft by receiving charge?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need an attorney for a theft by receiving charge?

I was arrested for having a
license plate on my car
that did not belong to my
vehicle and was reported
stolen out of another
county. I had a warrant out
for me from that county and
also the county I was
arrested in filed an arrest

Asked on April 22, 2019 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should have an attorney. Receiving stolen property (the license plate) is a crime, not a traffic offense; you have the possibility of jail time (most likely for a license plate, up to, but no more than, 12 months). Whenever there is the possibility of jail time, you want an attorney to maximimize your chance of (possibly) getting the charges dropped or (more likely) getting just fines and/or probation. The attorney can represent you much better than you can represent yourself.
The error you describe is a harmless one--the equivalent of a "typo." It does not affect the substance of the charge and can be corrected in court. It will not help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption