Can we still move out of country if my husband was arrested for misdemeanor theft?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we still move out of country if my husband was arrested for misdemeanor theft?

Recently my husband was arrested for theft by deception under $1500. He has never been in trouble before. He is here in the US with a green card and is a French citizen. Do we need to look for an attorney or will a public defender be able to help us? Also, before this whole incident happened, we were planning to move back to France. If we move before our court date and come back for court, is that legal? He is currently out on bail but have yet to receive a court date.

Asked on September 1, 2016 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Normally, the courts don't impose travel restrictions on misdemeanor offenses, but some courts are fickle and concerned when defendants leave town. Before you husband leaves, he really needs to have his bond conditions and general bond rules reviewed by an attorney to make sure that there are no restrictions on his travel plans.  If he travels in violation of a bond condition, then he could accidentally incur additional charges, thereby making his situation worse.
Your husband can look for a private attorney... but I would suggest talking to the public defenders office first to see if he is eligible for their help.  The service would be free and he could potentially get his charges resolved before he leaves...thereby reducing the discomfort and expense of having these charges linger.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption