What should I do if a doctor gave me the wrong amount of medicine and I passed out?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if a doctor gave me the wrong amount of medicine and I passed out?

I was stung by a wasp and taken to the ER. The nurse gave me epinephrine 11000 instead of 110000, the nurse questioned the doctor several times before administering it. I had some type of cardiac event; I must have passed out after the severe pain in my chest and the muscle contractions and burning all over It is a hard experience to explain. When I came around I was hooked to a defibulator and my cloths had been cut off and I had vomited and lost control of my bowels. What kind of health problems do I need to look for or ask about now? Do I needed a lawyer?

Asked on April 10, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As for what sort of residual health problems you may have--you need to ask a doctor about that.
In terms of legal action: there are two necessary components for a viable malpractice case. The first is fault: the doctor was negligent, or unreasonably careless. But the second is some significant monetary loss (e.g. substantial additional medical costs) or significant and long-lasting (months or longer) disability or life impairment. That is because even when the doctor is at fault, the amount of money you can recover is related to the costs and injury you suffered; meanwhile, malpractice costs are very expensive to bring, because you need a medical expert to write reports and testify and such experts can run a few thousand dollars easily. If, as we hope, you suffer no more than the what you have written about--i.e. no lasting effects--and you have only small additional out of pocket medical costs, it would not be worth suing--you'd spend more on the lawsuit than you'd get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption