Do I have to ‘sell’ my firearms while on probation?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to ‘sell’ my firearms while on probation?

Recently convicted of a second DUII in Clackamas County Oregon. Part of the sentence is 2 years probation. Can I have a friend store them for me while on probation and would I have to remove the ammo as well?

Asked on October 9, 2019 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Possession includes ownership--not merely whether you have them accessible at the time. Therefore, it's not enough to have a friend hold them for you, just it would not be enough to lock them in safe: since you would still be the owner and could legally choose to access them (i.e. have your friend give them back), you'd be in violation of your probation if you only gave them to someone to hold for you. You need to fully divest yourselves of your firearm--sell or give them away.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption