Do I have to provide renter’s insurance information to another resident after a fire for which I am not named liable?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to provide renter’s insurance information to another resident after a fire for which I am not named liable?

There was a fire that originated in my apartment. The fire marshal ruled the cause as undetermined. No one was named as liable. Do I have to provide my renter’s insurance information to other residents who suffered damages due to the fire?

Asked on December 10, 2018 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Not unless they sue you: in a lawsuit, they'd be entitled to that information. Even if the fire marshall found the fire to be "undetermined" and that no one was liable, you can still be sued: the fire marshall's determination or conclusion is not legally binding but is only evidence (admittedly, good evidence) of what happened, how. Anyone who believes you were at fault in the fire could sue you and try to prove your fault in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption