Do I have to provide a written statement to my manager about event that someone claimed they witnessed me doing which was false?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to provide a written statement to my manager about event that someone claimed they witnessed me doing which was false?

A colleague claimed they witnessed me doing something against company policy but I did not nor is there facts to support claims. My colleagues have been bullies and supervisors have indirectly used employees to harass me and if I even make a statement of what happened I’m sure they’ll find a way to manipulate the facts.

Asked on December 19, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Is your treatment due to some form of legally actionable discrimination? In other words, it is due to your race, religion, gender, nationality, age (over 40) or nationality? If not, then it is unfortunately legal. Further, unless there is an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, you can be made to provide the written statement that has been asked for. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption