Do I have to probate will

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to probate will

I have all my bank accts and assets p.o.d. to my children.
However my car is in my name and about 2000 in
MetLife stock. Will this require me to go to probate and list
all assets and other paperwork?
Are those p.o.d. accts part of my estate for probate

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are doing a little estate planning which is great. Make sure that everything says "with rights of survivorship" for the koint account holder.  With stocks, New Jersey allows you to hold same "TOD" - Transfer on Death. Register the brokerage account that way and it will pass automatically - no probate. The only issue is the car.  New Jersey does not allow transfer on death regiistration of vehicles.  If you trust your kids, transfer it now.  Otherwise, they can likely donate it later.  Good luck. Be well. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption