Do I have to pay property tax if I left the house 3 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay property tax if I left the house 3 years ago?

I did not file bankruptcy I simple moved out and I informed the bank. I could not pay my mortgage because I lost my job and I’m still unemployed.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Did the bank actually foreclose on your property and take ownership? If they did not, then you are still the owner, and as the owner, you are the one responsible for the property taxes. You may have moved out, but that does not affect title, ownership, or taxes; and while the bank has the right to foreclosure on and acquire the property in the event of default, they are not required to do so and it is not automatic. If the bank never actually went through the step of foreclosing against you, then, unfortunately, you remained the owner. Therefore you would still be the person responsible for paying property taxes. The actions you took would not affect that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption