Do Ihave to pay my landlord rent if he has an expired renter’s license?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do Ihave to pay my landlord rent if he has an expired renter’s license?

Asked on January 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Different townships have different rules regarding what the ramifications are if the landlord's renters license expires and its effect upon the tenant's obligations to the landlord to pay rent. In most circumstances, the expiration of the landlord's renter's license does not prevent the tenant from validly refusing to make his or her monthly payments.

Rather the effect is that the failure of the landlord to renew his or her renter's license places the landlord at risk for fine by the local renter's board. I suggest that you contact the local renter's board as to the effect of an expired renter's license upon your obligation to pay rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption