Do I have to pay HOA dues after a development was built around our property?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay HOA dues after a development was built around our property?

Our family property was the only house until a developer purchased and built a gated community all around our home. Our property is now inside the gated community, but we were never part of the development or the HOA, nor ever agreed to it, Now, after 20 years, the hoa have put a lien on our property and claim we owe them 20 years of dues. We explained that they built around us, and we never agreed, or were a part of the development, but they insist we have to pay. We’ve never participated in the HOA.

Asked on February 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The short answer is that if your property is not part of the community, you don't have to pay fees; period, end of sentence. You can't be made to join anything or pay anything you don't like. That said, you should confirm that you're not part of the community in some way; for example, is your property subject to any other agreements that would actually, despite your wishes, make you a part of  this community? It is unlikely but not impossible: if your land and the rest of the land all came from the same source originally, there could be some master agreement governing it all. You should ask the HOA to provide their evidence or proof that you are part of this community and subject too the HOA and the fees; you should also consult with a real estate attorney, who can review any deeds, leases, easements and anything provided by the HOA. Assuming you're in the right, you may wish to consider and ask your attorney about any counterclaim or suit--at least for attorney's fees!--you could bring in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption