Do I have to pay for my own health insurance while I’m off on workers comp?

When on medical leave, you shouldn't be worrying about whether you need to pay for your own health insurance while off on workers comp. Workers comp benefits apply to any worker who suffers a qualifying work injury. Many states have laws mandating that employers either pay for health insurance for workers comp employees or compensate for lost health insurance benefits along with lost wages. In many cases, the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) preempts these state laws to make sure that you are protected during extended medical leave. You will have to check your state laws to determine if ERISA applies to you. Learn more.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2022