Do I have to pay ambulance fee when my Social Security insurance states that I am to pay $60 co-pay, but this is waived if hospitalized?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay ambulance fee when my Social Security insurance states that I am to pay $60 co-pay, but this is waived if hospitalized?

I was rushed to hospital from the doctor’s office, the service was called from the doctor’s staff. I belong to ambulance club but this service was not the one that I belong to. I paid the $60 co-pay for the ambulance services even though I was admitted to hospital. The service stated later that they would reimburse me; I have never received this Then I get a $900+ paramedic bill. My insurance states that “If admitted the co-pay is waived”; I am on social security. I was under the assumption that the paramedics was included with the ambulance services.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You need to direct the ambulance company that you have a $900 plus bill to your insurance carrier so that you can get the $900 claim against you resolved sooner rather than later. You also need to speak with someone with your insurance carrier about this bill and follow up the telephone call with a written letter keeping a copy of it for future need.

Unfortunately you have a situation where you are held hostage between the ambulance company's bill and the uncertainty with your insurance carrier.

There are also organizations that possibly can assist you further regarding your current situation such as legal aid, your county's bar association, and the Council for Aging.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption