DoI have to obtain a new deed to jointly owned propertyif my co-owner has died?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DoI have to obtain a new deed to jointly owned propertyif my co-owner has died?

The deed to my home is under both mine and my deceased husband’s names. It does not say wife or joint tenancy next to my name. I was advised to pay a minimum of $1500 to change the deed. Is this necessary?

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  What, may I ask, does the deed state beside your names?  Does it say "tenants by the entirety?"  Tenancy by the entirety is a special way to hold property that only husbands and wives in new York can do.  It carries with it rights of survivorship, meaning that it passes automatically to the surviving spouse at the death of one of the spouses.  You do not have to file a new deed if this is what it says.  If you are probating his estate you may want to just to make it easier on transfer later on.  If, however, the deed does not say this and does not state as you say joint tenancy with rights of survivorship then seek legal help as to what to do.  There are possible more facts than you have given here that will have a bearing on how to proceed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption