DoI have to have my car registered if it is non-working and sits in my driveway under a carport?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DoI have to have my car registered if it is non-working and sits in my driveway under a carport?

My neighbors have complained about an abandoned vehicle on my property. Now the police have issued me a citation saying that I need to get my car registered or be fined. I didn’t think my car needed to be registered if it was in my driveway under a carport. Also, I never drive it because it doesn’t run.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states, all vehicles that are driven on a public roadway are required to be registered and to be in good driving condition per the codes of each state. If the car that you have sititng in your driveway is not being driven on a public roadway and has not been so for a long time, and you have no intent to drive it on the public roadway, you do not need to register it.

This will be you best defense to contest the citation.

In order to stop the complaints about the vehicle by your neighbor, perhaps purchasing a car tarp to cover it from the elements is the solution.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption