Do I have to give a 30 day notice to vacate a residence if my dad died so couldn’t give the notice?

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to give a 30 day notice to vacate a residence if my dad died so couldn’t give the notice?

The assisted living facility said that I needed to give them a 30 day notice or else lose the remaining money I paid for the rest of the month. This was not a voluntary situation. I had no control over a date to leave the residence. This was not a lease, only a month-to-month agreemt.

Asked on April 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Unfortunately, death does not terminate a tenancy, and you would still have to give the thirty days notice in order to terminate your month-to-month tenancy.  Thirty days written notice is required to terminate a month-to-month tenancy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption