Do I have to get a license to sell NFL or any sports team merchandise on-line?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to get a license to sell NFL or any sports team merchandise on-line?

This would be a hand made item with actual team names and logos. I see other for sake items listed as “officially licensed”, is that a requirement? If so, what is the process?

Asked on December 8, 2014 under Business Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You *cannot* use the team names and logos, which are the intellectual property (trademarks and/or copyright) of the teams without their permission; if you do, you'd could be sued by them for damages or compensation, such as *all* your profit, and have to destroy any unsold inventory as well. So you need their permission, which is what you mean by a "license"--they could "license" you to make and sell such items. To find out what's involved and what the cost might be, call or otherwise contact the teams' marketing or licensing departments/offices.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption