Do I have to appear in court if I get subpoena?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to appear in court if I get subpoena?

An ex employee is trying to sue the management company of my employer and has named me to testify that she was hurt. Her alleged injuries were in a private restroom with no witness and she is trying to say that I told her that this has happened before. No such statement was ever mad by me.

Asked on July 25, 2017 under Personal Injury, Delaware


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A subpeona is an court order to appear on the date and time specified in it. If you do not appear as instructed, then you are in violation of that order and a warrant for failure to appear could even be issued for your arrest. If so, you could potentially face stiff fines and/or jail time. Your best bet is to go to court and just tell what you know as truthfully as you can. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption