Do I have to allow my wife’s mother to stay in my home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to allow my wife’s mother to stay in my home?

Currently my wife and I are divorcing. We have appeared in front of a judge for temporary hearing. She has chosen to move out of the home within 30 days. Now she is attempting to invite her mother in from

another town to stay in my home for a week. I am keeping the home. Can I legally keep her mother from staying in my home? She will only be here to snoop around.

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a formal separation agreement or other court order in effect which determines who has the legal right to occupancy, then until your divorce is granted, you both have the right to reside in the "joint marital residence". Further, as a legal occupant of the home, your wife can invite whoever she chooses to come and stay at the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption