Do I have the right to meet my ex’s girlfriend if she is around our children?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have the right to meet my ex’s girlfriend if she is around our children?

I have been divorced for a little over 4 years.
My ex husband has been seeing his girlfriend
the entire time and she spends time with my
children. I have asked repeatedly just to meet
her. I don’t want her phone number or address.
I just want to meet her. And they refuse. Do I
have a right to meet anyone spending time with
my children? What can I do?

Asked on April 20, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not have the right to meet her, any more than you have the right to meet his friends, his neighbors, his coworkers, his housekeeper (if he has one),  or anyone else in his life who may spend time with your children. That they are your children does not give you the right to meet anyone who may interact with them or to control your ex's life (and forcing him to introduce you to his girlfriend is to exercise control over it) in any way not specifically provided for, in so many words, by the terms of your divorce settlement or decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption