Do I have the right to deduct the cost of take out food due to not having a working stove in my apartment?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have the right to deduct the cost of take out food due to not having a working stove in my apartment?

My stove was deemed an explosion hazard by the gas company. I informed my landlord of this and he has yet to replace my stove I have eaten out for almost 3 weeks now due to this and it’s beyond expensive to have 3 meals per day ordered in for weeks. It is now past the first and I still don’t have a working stove as promised Do I have the right to deduct rent and how much?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately under the laws of all states in this country, the right to deduct rent is contingent upon making repairs to a unit where some item is a habitability issue such as lack of heat after giving the landlord notice of the problem.

Unfortunately you cannot deduct for the costs for the take out food you have had to buy. You should be entitled to some rental rebate.

Since your landlord is not responsive, I suggest that you make a complaint against him or her with the local health and safety department or the building and permit department as to the lack of a working stove.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption